Thursday, February 28, 2013

Craft Fair Craziness

So....I think I went crazy! Last year, I went to a craft fair here in Small Town, and they were selling caramel apples for $6-7 a piece, and I thought 'I could do that'! Then when one of my good friends mentioned that she wanted to do the craft fair also, I told her we should do it together. Here's her craft fair experience.
 
For some reason, I thought that doing apples wasn't enough. No, the real story is that I really wanted this temple picture for Jders room. It says "If this isn't your castle" on one block, then there is a block of a frog, and then the other block says "then you're not my prince". I didn't want to pay what people were asking for it, and thought 'I could do that'. So, I had my talented s.i.l. draw up the pictures for me and print them, and I did the boards. And since I knew I was doing a craft fair soon, I thought I would do 25 sets....YES, 25 SETS! What I was thinking, I don't know??????? I loved how they turned out, but they were SO much work, and I think I only sold 4 or 5 at the first craft fair.
 
The apples did AWESOME, I made 80 ish, and ended up going home and making 20 more after the first night. And......I had one left at the end, which I gave away. Don't get me wrong, we had our fair share of taste testing during the whole two day shindig.
 
My little sister came the second day, and did bows, but all in all we did pretty well! After that craft fair was done, I guess I hadn't had enough, because they were having one in a small town close to here, and so I decided to try it out, so that I could sell some more block sets! Yep, two craft fairs in three weeks, ugh! My friend jumped on board, and we did it again! That craft fair was a bust, we did okay with the apples, but we didn't really sell anything else.
 
It was fun to hang out, and be proud of the things that I made, but I'm not sure it was worth all the work. I think about it now, and it makes me tired just to think of it. But....I'll probably do next year, much to Farmer Brown's chagrin. I made a lot of money on those apples - it paid for a good portion of Christmas!
 
P.S. if you want a block set, I still have tons left, just let me know.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment