Saturday, September 22, 2012

Aunt T's

While Farmer Brown is harvesting, I usually try to take off for at least a week. This time I went down to my mom's house for a few days, and then to my sister's. It was a lot of fun, other than locking Jders in the car (that story in a minute).
 
We took our car in to get it fixed - the stinkin' computer went out on it, but it has been giving us problems since we bought it four years ago, and hopefully this will solve all of our problems. Sorry, tangent. Anyway, the point was that I didn't have a car, so Jders and I just hung out at my mom's during the day while she was at work. Which is nice and relaxing, because my mom has a million toys, and Jders could be content there for months.
 
We went out to lunch every day, and dinner for that matter. My mom has this scooter (like a Dumb & Dumber one) and I LOVE it! I rode it all the way to dinner one night, which was a good 5 miles away, I'm in love. That is definitely on the list of things I have to own before leaving this world.
 
We really didn't do much, we just kind of hung out, and went to a few stores, where of course, Gramma M spoils the kids rotten. My little sister's little girl Q was with us, and both her and Jders were SPOILED!
 
We then went to my little sister's new house, and checked that out. We did some shopping, and swimming, and some eating (of course). It was a lot of fun!

 

The only black mark on the trip was when I locked little Sis in the car. When we got the car fixed, we got a new remote for the car, because when we tried to change the batteries in the other two they broke - faulty design. Anyway, the remotes for our cars have automatic start, but you have to lock it before you can start it. So, because it was 95-100 degrees outside, I had opened the door to put Jders in and then locked it to start it from the back seat, so the air would be going. I threw my purse (with my phone in it) and the keys on the front seat, strapped Jders in and shut the door! When I realized she was locked in the car, I about died! My Mom ran into D.I. to call 911, and I called 911 from a man's phone that got out of the car - I was afraid my Mom wouldn't get to a phone fast enough. Jders really didn't know what was going on, and was fine, and I was okay because the air was on. BUT...the automatic start will only let the car run for about ten minutes and then it shuts off, so I was still a little panicky because I knew our time was limited. While we were waiting for the cops to show up, I was pacing back and forth, and my Mom was looking for a rock to break out a window with, if we needed to. The cops showed up and started to work on the car - they put this metal thing in between the frame and the door, and there is a balloon in between two metal things, and they pump it up, so there is a little space in between the door and the frame, and then they can stick a large wire thing in there to get to the lock. While the cop was working on it, the car shut off. Cue the freak out mother, because I seriously couldn't breath as soon as the car shut off, I just kept saying "get her out, get her out!" while sobbing. Meanwhile, my Mom making faces at Jders and talking to her so she wouldn't start freaking out. I nearly tore off one of my fingers, because I was pulling on it so hard, and was pacing back and forth. I've never really felt the need to pace, ever. Until this experience. There was no stopping me. The cop was having a hard time getting to the handle or the lock button, but he finally got it. I hurriedly got in the car, started it, hugged the cop (yes, I wasn't thinking straight and he was about 7 feet tall, and me 5, so yes, it was awkward) and got Jders back out to give her a big hug and a kiss. I don't think I would have freaked out as bad if I hadn't read this blog when Jders was born about a Dad in Arizona who forgot he had taken the baby with him, and left the baby in the car in the garage, but it was in the middle of the day, and the baby passed away. All I can say, is thank goodness for law enforcement and their prompt response!
Fast forward to a week later, I was at a doctor's appointment in my home town, and I did it AGAIN!!!! Yes, I know there is something wrong with me, and yes, I have been lectured by the father of the child. It wasn't as traumatic this time because Jders wasn't buckled, and she didn't seem as helpless, if that makes any sense.
Jders is going through this phase where she has to climb into the car seat herself. A lot of the time she doesn't want to sit in her seat though, she wants to sit in the seat next to her seat. Sometimes I will hold her down kicking and screaming and buckle her in, but when I'm not in a hurry I just sit there and wait for her to decide she's bored in the car and ready to go somewhere. The latter was my approach on this morning. The doctor's appointment was over, and I was just planning on taking Jders to do some fun things before we headed back home. So, I sat in the back seat for a while with her, while she climbed all over me playing with the keys and the remote and she was unlocking and locking it, and pushing the trunk button and the horn button, she was hitting them all. I got tired of her climbing on me, so I was going to move to the front seat, so I got out and shut the door! Locking my child in the car AGAIN! It wasn't that hot yet, but she was in her footie pajamas from the night before. She still had the keys in her hand, I kept telling her to push the button - she kept pushing the lock button. So, I told her to crawl into the front seat and open the door, or to push the buttons on the door. It took her a LONG time, (about ten minutes) I probably should have ran in and called the cops, but I didn't want to leave her in there by herself while I ran in (I know I should have anyway). I was about to go find a phone, because once again, mine was in the car, when she got it! I ripped open that door as fast as I could, so that she couldn't lock it again before I got in there. She was sweaty - and I should have called the cops sooner, next time I'll know better. But, she's here safe with me now, thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment